Thursday, April 18, 2013

I have this friend



I got this book from the library yesterday, and so far it's proven to be super intriguing. I didn't really know you could write a narrative about running. Or even that there is a story that goes with running. I also didn't really know I would ever talk about running affectionately or think of it and myself as friends. I made peace with the horrible idea of more-than-walking when I signed up for a 5k in the 10th grade because one of my best friends said she wondered if we could do it. I began to train a bit reluctantly and sort of got the hang of it, but Running and I we were in this really unhealthy relationship. A little bit of attraction, but a lot of hate. I loved the way I felt afterwards but hated the way I felt during. I devoted myself to training for this one race, but beyond that, I was not going to adopt it as my form of exercise. Running was one of those things I hated talking about because I felt like a poser. Sort of like when people put North Face/Chaco/Patagonia/I Heart Mountains stickers all over their cars (don't look at my car) or buy something from Rei and call themselves outdoorsy, I didn't feel like I could sign up for a 5k and call myself a runner. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I would ever even think of myself remotely as a runner, and I think the only reason I do now is because it's not this intimidating, completely defeating thing that it used to be. It's not something I beat myself up over anymore like I did when I didn't run as far or as fast as other girls. It sort of became a stress relieving habit, and then it became familiar, and now we're sort of just casual friends. That's not to say that Running and I don't always get along, but we always make up. Mostly for the following reasons.

I run...
...because I can.
...because I couldn't before.
...because the moments of clarity, ambition, and motivation I get post running keep me productive
...because of the sweat, especially when it runs down your face...the abandon you feel when you aren't concerned about smelling bad.
...because of the innate need to move and to see the world with my feet
...so that I can spend time with my dog.
...in defiance against disease, illness, laziness, pain, inability, insecurity
...because it's hard
...because I can feel my heart and lungs and blood vessels and endorphins smiling
...because I can go to bed exhausted afterwards
...because I can do it anywhere in the world and in almost any weather...in the rain, in the snow, in Hurricane Sandys, on the beach, in Europe, in South Africa, and in those new experiences, I make memories.
...because it gives me a sense of direction when I'm in a new city
...it accepts me as I am even when I don't
...because with it, I engage all of my senses and experience real human feelings like: delight, satisfaction, "I don't think I can do this", relief, exhaustion, frustration, etc.

tell me about your exercise...


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Steph! I'm thinking about doing a half marathon next month, so maybe I'll have more to comment about in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - this is a compelling and creative description of your developing relationship with running. I absolutely agree with you and enjoy connecting with your individualistic observations that make the simplest joys appears as wonders. I would emphasize the hate part of my own relationship with running, but now we've become long-distance friends that enjoy catching up when we can.

    ReplyDelete