Sunday, February 14, 2010

before i begin this week...

well, two things are now official. 1. I'm going to south africa...

^he's excited...and 2. some people are kind of dumb. I'm not omitting myself from that well-rounded adjective, but seriously. Someone i know, who is a grown woman and who will remain nameless, decided to write in her facebook status that she had been taking life "for granite". does that make life synonymous with crag? earth's crust? for those of you reading this thinking, "is that not what it's called..?", it's "for granted". to take something for granted. I think i've taken my mother's incessant grammatical corrections for granted over the years. (now...feel free to call me a not very nice name if you'd like.)
I should add some common british terms on here that i often forget because i hear them so often: "quid" (another term for the pound...5 quid is 5 pounds), "knackered" (tired), "good shout" (like when we say "good call"), "tada" (goodbye), to "wap it on" (turn something on), "cheers" (thanks), "i'll speak to you later" (not really different...but we are more likely to say talk to you later), people also say "alright then, off you go" a lot :), and...i can't think of anymore. more later.
This week I don't really know what my plans are. On friday, we're going to belfast until monday. and I think my friends matthew and adam and I will be going someplace fun on thursday, but i don't know where yet. I'm trying to get a job at a café where my friend works, so hopefully this week I'll find out about that. It would be very few shifts--just to give me something to do during the week and earn some extra money. I really a want to make friends with some old people soon. they have always fascinated me.

3 comments:

  1. Soooooooo cool that you're going to S Africa! TO see your honey! But do you HAVE to miss Greece for that trip?!? Man, that's one place I wouldn't want to miss! But, of course, South Africa is nice too. Especially if you can see your man...decisions, decisions.

    I am so excited for all the tripping you're doing!! yay, lil sis! Don't forget Flat Lincoln on all your travels!! Send lotsa pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i wont forget flat lincoln. but i dont really know how to take him everywhere when you have to have him back at some point...esp. when my longest travels are in march/april. p.s. south africa with philip wins every time in the greece/south africa competition. come. on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph,
    Good to read the blog - this is actually the very first time in my life I have actually read someones blog - I have always thought they were pointless and most of them are but since you are traveling the world its cool to read.
    We saw that big orange thing in the sky today, most people call it the sun. First time we've seen it in a while. All is well here - Youth Assurance Weekend in the Smokies is coming up next weekend. Fun Fun.!! We will be doing your favorite thing - hiking - remember that year you were such a wimp on that hike. Take care and have fun. Watch out for Wookalars I think there is a lot of them in Belfast.

    ReplyDelete