Saturday, February 6, 2010

nostalgia

in the movie "Motorcycle Diaries", the main character quotes, "how is it possible to feel nostalgic for a world I've never known?" well, i don't have the answer, but I do understand the question now. Today me, my friend melanie (UT), and Lindsey (UT..flying buddy) went to the Gower, which is (as you can see in the pictures) an incredible part of Swansea. The Gower is an area where Wales and the ocean meet, and rising above the powerful majesty of the sea are cliffs, chiseled out into gorgeous hillsides and rocky crags by the consistently crashing water. The drive on the way to the Gower was incredible as well. It made my heart swell like the waves along the shore simply to see miles of countryside and grass-covered hills. To be away from the city and see sheep. I love sheep. I was one for halloween. Did you know that? As we were riding in the bus, Melanie continued to exclaim, "look it's a cow!" unfortunately, no, it was not a cow. I don't think we saw a single cow. They were all horses. Being the helpful vocabulary police that I am, I continually pointed this out, and for some reason, she couldn't seem to accept it in her mind. Because as we passed more horses, she would talk about the cows.

This is the view looking down to the water from the top of one of the cliffs:






Isn't it luscious? I loved it. We took an hour bus ride from town and then explored for about two hours. Then we got back on the bus, frozen to the core because the sun had gone down, and-once again-we simply couldn't be pulled away from the beauty surrounding us. Instead, we shivered our way back to town and found a good restaurant called CJ Jenkins near the bus stop that would take us to the student village. I ordered a hamburger and hot chocolate. Melanie's birthday is tomorrow (HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!) so she got food and a piece of cake. My hamburger was...let's say < American and sort of reminded me of the burgers they used to serve us in the cafeteria in elementary school. But my hot chocolate, though small, was wonderful. So much so that I went back and got a second one (they were only 99 pence) because I wanted to warm my hands.

Something I miss...hugs. Is that silly? I miss hugs from everyone. The tight ones. People who notably give the best hugs: Ann Laurel Latimer, Ashleigh Abraham, Philip Gilman, my mom, amanda dodson, and Kelsey Cunningham. Ya'll are really good at them. keep it up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh..I wish I could just give you one of my hugs! Oh man...what scenery! Your description of the landscape was great. The pictures remind me of stories and movies set in the area. Steph, you make it almost like I'm there when you talk about it. Wonderful words...I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!!!!! Thanks for the awesome description as well as the pictures, which are truly worth a thousand words...

    Now...how can I get on your "good hugger" list?

    ReplyDelete