Friday, January 22, 2010

in the beginning

Today was a bit more dramatic. well, actually starting last night. we went to tesco, basically a walmart, but a lot more expensive. i was looking at buying a pillow, but they were equivalent to 11 dollars in the U.S. gaaah. everything is so expensive here, and I'm not gonna lie. I'm so nervous about my money running out. How will I travel? Alas, I do not know yet. I won't be buying any pillows though :)
anyway, last night at tesco we spent about two hours buying 30 pounds worth of groceries and necessities. I so wish I could have fit from home into my bags. poop. afterwards, we were looking for the bus stop, but couldn't find it and had really heavy groceries, and hadn't eaten since lunch (it was about 9 pm at that point). It was pouring rain as we walked the streets of swansea, desperate for a ride. finally, we called a taxi and ended up paying about 24 bucks to get back to school, which was frustrating, because we have a bus pass and so it felt like we wasted that money. silly americans. I got home though and couldnt find my house and room keys and kind of panicked. It was late, and only I have a key to my room. it was raining and I didnt know anyone. And so I cried. but I knew it was mostly because I was exhausted and hadn't eaten in hours. So i went to my room and put my groceries away and showered and tried to plug in my straighter so I could look presentable the next day at orientation. my straightener blew immediately. that was the last straw, so I fell into bed and slept deeply. This morning, I woke up famished and thirsty (i hadn't had any water since noon the day before). after something to eat and a nalgene full of water, I felt so much better. Then I registered for classes, met some friendly welsh friends and the day turned out so so much better. i get made fun of for saying ya'll. it's great. this country makes me love the human race.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, YOU! Cutie pie! I bet they really do think you're adorable. I remember having serious meltdowns as an adult - all while traveling overseas. Just add this dimension to the frustration you felt last night: what if no one around you spoke a language you understood? I'm glad you're in the land of pretty people with questionable dental hygiene who speak English.

    There is a temptation on my part to send you a pillow, a new towel or two...some money. But I am grateful for the experience(s) Scott and I had in foreign lands...and I know that what you will gain from learning to live with what you have will be priceless. To let you learn it is to give you the greatest gift possible right now. I learned in Bible Study this week (we're studying the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead - John 11) that God does many things for us that seem cruel when they serve a much greater purpose. This is not a new concept to me, but as we talked about how Jesus actually had to practice SELF-CONTROL not to go immediately to Lazarus when He got the msg that he was ill...this was where I found my own personal challenge. He restrained Himself because He knew obedience to the Father's timing would mean a greater benefit for Mary, Martha, Lazarus and many around them who hadn't yet believed. This is a struggle for me with my kids...I want to "rescue" them too often...and I feel the same way with you right now. If it wasn't for the travel experience I have under my belt, I don't think I would have a clue how valuable it will be for you to see that you can indeed live with a flat, starchy pillow and a tiny threadbare towel. And you will be a better person for it.

    I love you, Steph!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what is your Swansea-issued pillow like? And your bed? I was shocked by the camp-thin mattress, tiny excuse for a pillow, and excuse for a coverlet they gave us.

    I'm proud of you for making it through a Wal-Mart trip! Those are overwhelming in America. With a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...my bed is about...a foot off the ground and we dont have a flat sheet, only a fitted sheet. the pillow was very thin, and so I bought another one yesterday, and it's wonderful. My bed is now very suitable, and apparently i sleep well, because last night I slept for 13 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete