Sunday, January 24, 2010

and so it continues...

I am a lazy bum. I think this is true for all the american students right now, but I don't like to be so lazy. The night before last, I went to bed at 1 (a reasonable hour for someone like me) and slept till...3 pm. A full 14 hours. It was great and I felt very rested, so I thought. Lindsey and I went to town and looked around, which was great; I found my life saver store. The "99p store". everything is 1 pound or less. I got a mirror with a plastic green casing..we had no mirrors in our rooms...and a candle and a couple other random things that would have been very costly elsewhere. I left the store with a permanent smile on my face, content with my very basic purchases, and we went to Tesco next. This time around at tesco, I was in better spirits, and so things didn't seem quite as expensive as they had seemed two nights before when we were so exhausted and hungry. I only got some cheese and salad dressing (apparently, salad dressings are salad "creams over here) and we left again. Three different occasions, older individuals stopped us and asked us how to get to some location (of course, we had no idea what they were talking about, because...well, it's obvious). One lady was about 90 years old and probably 4'11'', but incredibly sweet, and I hated not being able to help her. Side note...what is it with little children and old people? Their foreign accents are undeniably precious. Anyway, we successfully managed to catch the bus back to university (here, they call it "uni") and then got the other bus back to the student village. Upon arriving, i went home and met my other room mate who had just returned from ireland. His name is Chris, and he is very kind. He reminds me of someone my friends at home would hang out with. So I made my dinner of a ham, welsh white cheddar cheese, avocado, honey and mustard dressing, and lettuce sandwich, talked with my room mates, chris and peter (he's polish...very sweet. but I always talk too fast for him), and then lindsey showed up with her funny room mate Evalds from Latvia. She said we were going to a party and I needed to get ready. I quickly changed and she handed me a cider (it's different than any american alcohol...it reminds me of very unclassy champagne), and we went to the party. We weren't there very long, but we met some really great people, notably annemarie and becky. Then that party started to die down, so we went to another party. It wasn't fun, so we went to our american friend, melanie's house. It was great. We talked for a couple hours about traveling and our plans and school. I went home after that and thought I'd be tired enough to go to sleep. Alas. one cannot sleep until 3 pm and expect an early bed time. This wasn't early though. It was 2 pm! So I watched one of my tv shows online that I've missed being away from home. Then i got caught up in skyping and finally managed to go to sleep at 5 am. Ugh. I slept until 11 this morning because I thought I was going to town with melanie and lindsey. Nope. They were still asleep, and they didn't want to go out today. So I went home, ate some breakfast, lounged around and...yes. fell asleep. until 5 pm today. This is why I'm lazy. I'm going to change, i really will.

5 comments:

  1. Loving your blog and keeping up with how you're enjoying the adventure! I'll be waiting to see some pics of those beautiful Welsh folks you meet! I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you have a sleeping sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's a sickness, I have it, too. I had a strange conviction about it while reading my Bible tonight. I'm not ready to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, give yourself a break. You're trying to recover from jet lag. Just watch for too much sleep being a coping mechanism for sadness and home sickness. It will backfire.

    ReplyDelete