Wednesday, October 9, 2013

have you come to sing pumpkin carols?


I wish there were pumpkin carols. Fall carols, if you will. I know all this talk about pumpkins is making people sick; it's all anyone talks about. Especially the single working women, the young moms, and the newly marrieds. What is it with this demographic and our obsession with everything pumpkin related? I'm pretty sure my grandmother enjoyed baking with it, but I don't know if she ever talked about it. She definitely didn't Instagram about it...

But with the twerking and the non-government and the chaos that has ensued as a result of both, we have to have something to fall back on for excitement. So herein lies something for you to bake.

I made it today, and it was simple and delicious and sugar-less. The recipe calls for sugar, but don't feel any obligation. I substituted for pure maple syrup. It should look like this below. And your coffee and your dog should look like this.



 Enjoy!



Ingredients

  • 1 15 oz. can mashed pumpkin
  • 2 mashed ripe pears (I used the red kind)
  • 1c. sugar (I subbed 3/4 cup maple syrup)
  • 1/4c. applesauce
  • 1/4c. oil (I subbed 1/4c. plain greek yogurt)
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 1/4c. flour (wheat or white)
  • 1T. cinnamon
  • 1t. baking powder
  • 1t. baking soda
  • 1t. ground cloves
  • 1t. ginger
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • Mix together the first 6 ingredients. And the remain ingredients till moist, just till blended.
  • Pour into 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for 45-50min. Or till knife inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 min. then remove from pan. Cut when cooled.
  • Yields: 2 loaves, 12 slices per loaf

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! I'm on it! I have all the ingredients except the pears. Wonder if it would work with shredded apples? Also, I don't see any directions...only ingredients...?

    ReplyDelete