Saturday, March 16, 2013

let's have another go

The one thing I've learned about creating something pretty is that I can't take myself too seriously. When whatever I'm doing tailspins into fuming frustration, throwing things, disposing of whatever creation I've begun, and tears, I might be taking myself too seriously. This can rear its ugly head in so many forms, but the ones I've experienced the most are when I'm cooking, painting, doing almost any math problem, navigating around PhotoShop, sewing with a machine...really just attempting creativity. I'm not saying you should chuck whatever logic you try to insert into the project...that would be careless. I'm saying it's important to drink a glass of wine before you do these things or else you get lost in the outcome and can't experience the learning, the moments of inspiration during your work, the laughter, the enjoyment of the activity. If you can't drink a glass of wine, I suggest listening to great music or doing these activities with someone who is just as bad at them as you are - see below:

My good friend and I attempting to paint while we watch the horrific season finale of Downton Abbey
In reference to this need to not take myself too seriously and my tendency to do so, I've been revamping my blog. It's been existing in the cyber void, but existing is the pretty bleak extent of it. Writing every few months isn't good for my ability to be consistent or for my creative outlet. I want to talk about things. Things that matter and are important and are written down and can be rooted in the soil of my continually growing mind. This isn't supposed to be a journal, or else there would be even less tact than the bit I can sometimes muster in public. But I do want to record the goings on and the beauty and the realizations that occur to a writer on a regular basis. With that - I would like to say I've missed you, and I promise to offer more for anyone that has the slightest interest.

So let's talk for a hot second about the latest. My job is going well. I'm learning new things all the time. Philip is applying for Fulbright in London, so we could potentially end up there after grad school (Fall 2014). Be still my heart. Could it be? I swoon at the thought of ending up there even if it's just for a year. The dog has become my favorite running partner, and I even got her up to 6 miles today. She usually decides she's had enough at about 3. I am doing well, but I continue to have emotional issues that need to be addressed, and I try very hard to avoid them. It would probably help if I opened the door a bit wider spiritually. The struggle continues in my ability to love well, my determination to push past complacency, and my resolve to be less self focused.

Finally, I have very dear friends coming into town next weekend to watch the most glorious concert on the planet - Sigur Ros. I will cry, and it will be a good soaking cry, much like the kind you have when you see someone you love get married or at the end of Homeward Bound. Delight. And something else. It's not sadness, but it's sort of that wistful feeling that accompanies happy tears. With the arrival of our Icelandic friends will be my Hope, and we will cry together - at how beautiful God makes the world and people and music and how very little we understand it all.

Here is the last two-ish weeks in pictures.
Grandma, I wear Grandpa's shirt all the time. In honor of his birthday tomorrow, here is what happens when you put Grandpa's flannel on a girl.
Philip made the best sushi ever, and it was even good the second day.
Peregrine Espresso -  a classic Eastern Market shop that isn't just confined to Eastern Market anymore. There are now 3 opportunities to partake of this delicious art in DC. Then you too can be the lame Instagramer of a latte. 
Mina and I have daily adventures to various parks to play with her new "Chuck It". It is the laziest way to throw a ball super far and make your dog exhausted for the rest of the day.
This is the friendly face that will greet you when you come to visit us. Come soon.

1 comment: