Monday, August 26, 2013

if it has a dot com, it's legit

It DOES have a dot com, mind you. ".com" status makes it the real thing (so no judging the legitimacy of my blog), which means you have to stop and pay homage to the earners of this rite: the dogs. Here is an appropriate song to accompany you through this post...


It's National Dog Day. As I speak, my husband is chasing my furry child around and around the couch. I already really appreciated their ongoing lighthearted banter where Mina fakes ferocity and then reluctance to wrestle when Philip goes in for the kill. But National Appreciation days call for a moment to stop and reflect on the honored ones, and so today I'm considering what it is about this supposed "non-soul" that I call friend that makes me swoon.

Maybe it's because she knows me so well. Or maybe it's because I know her so well. Or maybe it's the unexpected things she does that make me look behind those brown eyes and think there's something else there. She has a lot of depth. She gets her feelings hurt, she pouts, she gets excited, she's determined, she's cautious. She expresses all of these feelings nearly every day. I don't really know how she's able to do that and still not be a human, but somewhere inside of her I think she has these empathetic human feelings because of how much she loves me and Philip.

It could also be the times that she just sits with me. I either love to be still or be really active, and she can appreciate both of these activities on a moment's notice.

I mean, I think most of the time she would be curled up in a sleepy ball regardless of whether or not I at home, sick on the couch (below) or doing work on my computer (above)...It just seems that she chooses these moments at just the right perfect time that I can't help but think they might be her faithful way of communicating "I only have puppy eyes for you".




I'm definitely not ready for the b word, but when I find myself stroking her ears and watching her sleep, I wonder if maybe she's serving a purpose for both providing one of the truest friendships of my life, while also priming me for a future of being "mom". I don't know, but I'm enjoying the fact that she's mine. In honor of Happy Dog Day, enjoy one of the nominated best animated short films from the 2013 Academy Awards. Your hearts will swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment