Thursday, March 4, 2010

God is great, God is good

mmmmm I love people. All kinds of people. On the other hand, there are certainly some strange ones. It occurs to me on a daily basis now that it is absolutely imperative to let the strange ones be people. Most of them have good intentions, and most of the time they don't know they're being strange. I went to see my friend Zani at work today (more on that later...I have news), and as we sipped berry smoothies, Mr. Lawrence came over. Sweet man. I don't know him at all, but by the end our conversation I think he thought he knew me. I could barely understand a word of his broken welsh, not to mention the fact that he had one visible tooth in his mouth, slurring his speech further. He had on his proud welsh apparel, including a cowboy-style hat bearing the welsh insignia, as well as a patriotic scarf and sweater. He told me all about his obsession with cameras (i think) and how he had to spend money on absolutely everything. I could relate with that.

I got on the wrong bus today. Or maybe it was the right one that just took a long time. It got me where I wanted to go, but it took an hour to go the distance that normally takes about 15 minutes driving. I rode it with a bunch of middle school and high school kids. An older lady sat next to me and asked me where we were going. That's now the 5th time since I've been here that someone elderly has asked me for directions. And I can never help. But today we chatted, despite my ignorance of bus routes. She had a coupon for mcdonalds and asked me if I could use it. I said no thank you, so she turned to some high school kids and asked if they wanted it. poor lady, one kid barely acknowledged her, and the other ignored her! That made me mad. I almost turned to the lady and said "It's ok. They're too cool for anyone but kids their own age right now." But I knew the kids would have heard me. Perhaps they should have. Something I've realized, middle schoolers have really dirty mouths. I honestly couldn't believe some of words they were saying today. It makes me a bit sad that the world is closing in even more tightly around younger generations. Why can't kids stay in their happy bubble of blissful ignorance for a few more years? I loved that bubble.

Good news. The job I thought I wasn't going to get at the coffee shop where Zani works--I GOT IT! YAY! i'll only work every once in awhile. Some weekends, some sundays--whenever people need off or are sick. I'm so grateful for a bit of extra money. I'm going in this sunday to train and work a bit. I have to get a black shirt.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for a job! What a cool story this already is--when you were a barista in Wales...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo!!! So excited you got a gig!! Sounds perfect for you - you have experience and it's not going to demand a lot of extra time from ya. The extra cash will be sweet. Why can't I find a job like that? Oh wait. Actually, I do have that same advantage with terping. Man, are we lucky or WHAT?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got a job? awesome! which coffee shop? post more photos! (because i miss that place)

    ReplyDelete